Advice for identifying and managing medicines shortages has been published by the Department of Health and Social Care.
To identify shortages and supply problems, the Guide to Managing Medicines Supply and Shortages advises reference to the following sources:
• ‘Supply Disruption Alerts’ published via the Central Alerting System website. Actions can be confirmed by logging into the CAS website.
• NHS.net emails
• Specialist Pharmacy Service website
• Dispensing Doctors’ Association website
Actions to manage shortages may include:
• Liaise with medicine wholesalers to check information on the availability resupply dates
• Consider contacting medicines suppliers directly for an update and to check how supplies can be obtained. In some cases, suppliers may be able to supply direct
• Check whether other practices and pharmacies have stock, either for the patient to collect directly, or for stock to be transferred
• Liaise with prescribers regarding alternative brands, strengths formulations and medicines.