Two progestogen-only (‘POP’ or ‘mini-pill’) oral contraceptives, each containing desogestrel 75 micrograms, have been given pharmacy P medicine status..
Hana 75 microgram film coated tablets from HRA Pharma and Lovima 75 microgram film-coated tablets from Maxwellia will be available without prescription from pharmacies.
Hana is indicated as an oral contraceptive in women of childbearing age and Lovima as oral contraception for women of childbearing age including adolescents. Both are intended for continuous use.
Contraindications for both are:
- known or suspected sex-steroid sensitive malignancies;
- active venous thromboembolic disorder;
- presence or history of severe hepatic disease as long as liver function values have not returned to normal;
- undiagnosed vaginal bleeding;
- hypersensitivity to the active substance or excipients.
In addition, Lovima also has known allergy to peanut or soya as a specific contraindication.
A consultation checklist and training materials will support OTC sale.